$250 in the “Starter” category for the California Wild Rice Recipe Rumble.
Savory California Wild Rice Biscuits with Chive Butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 Tablespoons baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tablespoons all-vegetable shortening
- 1 cup cooked California wild rice
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup minced chives
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Preheat oven to 400˚. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and pepper. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until mixture is crumbly.
- Stir in California wild rice, and garlic. Gradually add milk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheet, making 12 biscuits.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown. In a small bowl, combine butter, chives, and hot pepper sauce.
Recipe by Kristina Vanni
Photo by California Wild Rice