2009 National Beef Cook-Off
First Place $10,000 Winner in the “Live Well with Fast & Convenient Grilled Beef Recipes” category
- 1-1/2 pounds beef skirt steak, cut into 4 to 6-inch pieces
- 2 medium oranges, divided
- 2 cups chopped tomatillos (4 to 5 small to medium)
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 to 3 teaspoons minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Juice of 1 medium orange
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce (from chipotle peppers)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Combine Marinade ingredients in food-safe plastic bag; add beef, closing bag securely. Marinate in refrigerator 6 hours or as long as overnight, turning occasionally.
- Grate 1/2 teaspoon peel from 1 orange and cut orange and half of remaining orange into segments; chop segments into 1/2-inch pieces. Combine orange peel, segments, tomatillos, onion, chipotle peppers, cumin and salt in medium bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve; cut remaining 1/2 orange into wedges and reserve for garnish.
- Remove steaks from marinade, discarding marinade; place steaks on grid over medium, ash-covered coals and grill, uncovered, 10 to 13 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, covered, 8 to 12 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally. Carve steaks diagonally across the grain into thin slices, seasoning with salt, as desired; serve with tomatillo salsa and garnish with reserved orange wedges.
Recipe by Kristina Vanni
Photo by National Beef Cook-Off