Chipotle and Carmenere Skirt Steak Nachos With Orange-Tomatillo Salsa
- Steak Marinade:
- 2 Tablespoons Santa Rita 120 Carmenere Wine
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 Tablespoons Chilean olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons adobo sauce (from a can of chipotle peppers)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound beef skirt steak
- Salt, to taste
- 1 medium orange (zest and segments)
- 2 cups chopped tomatillos (4 to 5 small to medium)
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 3 teaspoons minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Yellow corn chips
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1/4 cup crumbled Cojita Cheese
- Cilantro sprigs, for garnish
- For Marinade: Combine wine, orange juice, oil, adobo sauce, cumin and black pepper in food-safe plastic bag; add beef, closing bag securely. Marinate in refrigerator 6 hours or as long as overnight, turning occasionally.
- For Salsa: Grate 1/2 teaspoon zest from orange. Cut orange in half and remove segments with a grapefruit knife; chop segments into 1/2-inch pieces. Combine orange zest, segments, tomatillos, onion, chipotle peppers, cumin and salt in medium bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- For Steaks: Remove steaks from marinade, discarding marinade. Place steaks on pre-heated grill over medium heat, about 8-10 minutes for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning once.
- For Nachos: While steak is grilling, prepare nacho chips. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Arrange tortilla chips in an oven-safe casserole dish. Top with Monterey Jack cheese. Warm chips in oven for about 5-7 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- For Presentation: Allow steak to rest 3-4 minutes. Season steak with salt, to taste. Carve steaks diagonally across the grain into thin slices*. Top warm nachos with Orange-Tomatillo Salsa and arrange sliced skirt steak over salsa. Finish off with crumbled cojta cheese and garnish with fresh cilantro.
- Serve immediately and pair with Santa Rita 120 Carmenere wine.
- Note: For beautiful presentation, slice skirt steaks diagonally and fan out over nachos. For effortless eating, skirt steak can also be diced into bite-sized pieces and scattered over nachos.