Grand prize winning recipe from the National Pork Board “America’s Next Pork Personality” contest.
- Pork and Marinade:
- 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds pork tenderloin
- 1/4 cup mirrin
- 4 Tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese 5-Spice powder
- 1/4 teaspoon hot Chinese mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
- Pear-Caraway Mashed Potatoes:
- 1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 medium pear, cored, peeled and cubed
- 1/3 cup sliced green onion, with some tops included
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 Tablespoon milk (or more if needed)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Grilled Baby Bok Choy
- 2 Baby Bok Choy – halved lengthwise and kept intact
- Olive oil for brushing
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- For Pork: Place tenderloin pieces in a nonreactive dish. Combine all remaining marinade ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Pour 1/4 cup of marinade over pork and turn to coat. Set aside to marinate while preparing rest of dish. Place remaining marinade in a small saucepan, set aside.
- For Potatoes: Place potatoes in a medium saucepan with water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook until just tender, about 12 minutes; drain and set aside. While potatoes are boiling, melt butter in a medium skillet. Add pear, green onion, and caraway seed to pan and saute until mixture is softened, about 5-7 minutes. Place cooked potatoes, pear mixture (along with all liquid in pan), milk, salt, and pepper in bowl of food processor. Pulse until mixture is just smooth, adding more milk, if needed, a little at a time until desired consistency. Return mixture to saucepan; cover and keep warm.
- To grill pork and bok choy: Prepare grill for medium-high heat. Remove pork from marinade and grill about 6-7 minutes per side, depending on thickness of pork, and basting with any marinade in dish. When done, place pork on a work surface and let rest for 5 minutes. While pork is resting, brush halved bok choy with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill on both sides until just wilted and lightly browned, about 1 1/2 minutes per side.
- To serve dish: Place a dollop of mashed potatoes on each of 4 serving plates, along with pieces of bok choy. Slice pork and place on dish. Heat marinade and drizzle over pork slices. Serves 4.
Recipe by Kristina Vanni
Photo by Kristina Vanni